If You Care Certified Compostable Food Waste Bags 30 Bags
If You Care
IF YOU CARE Certified Compostable Food Waste Bags 30 Bags (3 Gallon/ 11.4L) - Made with GMO-Free Potatoes
Food Waste Bags 3 gallon – perfect for collecting food scraps and food waste for kitchen; to be used with kitchen compost pails
If You Care Certified Compostable Kitchen Caddy Bags are made from potato starch from non-GMO starch potatoes blended with a certified, fully compostable polymer. No plasticizers are added.
What Makes Potato Starch Strong?
Starch is a mixture of a linear (amylose) and a branched (amylopectin) polymer of glucose. Potato starch has a higher percentage of amylopectin than either corn or wheat starch. Amylopectin gives starch its structural integrity, so it helps make If You Care Certified Compostable Bags stronger than bags made from corn starch.
Any Other Reasons for Potato Starch?
The potato starch used to make If You Care Certified Compostable Bags comes from starch potatoes, which are not grown as a food source, but only for starch production. These potatoes are too high in starch to be good for food. Therefore, there is no diversion from food supplies. To produce the same amount of starch from these potatoes as from corn requires 40% less land. These potatoes require no irrigation, and need only normal rainfall. Corn requires much more water.
Why Use If You Care Certified Compostable Bags?
Approximately 80 million tons of waste (U.S. EPA figures) which goes to landfill annually is material which under the right conditions, can be turned into compost, including food scraps, yard trimmings and non-recyclable paper. In a landfill environment, this organic material (leaves, grass etc.) releases methane gas – a greenhouse gas – contributing to global warming. Diverting food scraps and yard trimmings from landfill to compost facilities – either municipal or commercial in areas where available – contributes significantly to preserving our planet and natural resources.
If You Care Certified Compostable Bags are made from 100% GMO free potato starch and a fully compostable polymer. These bags are completely polyethylene free and plasticizer free.
- Potato starch from non-GMO “starch potatoes” – grown for starch, not for food
- Blended with certified fully compostable polymer
- No plasticizers. Plasticizers migrate, which deteriorates mechanical properties of bags. We don’t use them.
- Package from 100% recycled board processed chlorine-free (PCF)
- No polyethylene. 100% certified compostable
- Potato starch from potatoes grown for starch only – no diversion from food supply
- Potato starch uses less water than starch from corn. No irrigation necessary, only natural rainfall.
- 40% less land is used to produce same quantity of starch from potatoes as from corn
- Use for compostable waste
- Bags are certified compostable by the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI)
- Bags along with waste can be composted in municipal or commercial compost facilities
- Cardboard box should be recycled
- No animal testing
- No animal ingredients